Thursday, November 5, 2009

Smoothies and Basketball

We had a little debate about smoothies yesterday afternoon. I offered him a leftover smoothie from the batch I had made for breakfast after school, and he responded, "What? Mom, that is not a snack." I told him it was and he told me that it is healthy but it is a drink, and people usually only DRINK it for breakfast, you don't eat a smoothie. You use a straw not a fork and even though there is fruit in there, it is so not food. So, he wanted something to eat, "Get it mom? So what else do you have?" Apparently I am dumber than I thought.

After that I thought we would go outside and play some basketball, get a little exercise, plus he loves basketball. He is actually really good at making shots - when he makes it in the basket he says, "did you hear that? All net!" So we are taking turns and he is on a roll, he got 10 shots in a row and turns to me with a huge smile and says,"Oh yeah sucka!" Really? When did he start talking like that, and where did he learn it? I really wanted to laugh because it's one of those moments that I feel like he is such a typical kid, showing off a little, testing some fresh language, you know the drill. But, if I react, it can become a part of his vocabulary for a long time, and it really wouldn't be appropriate for him to go to school and greet his teacher with,"Good morning sucka!"

1 comment:

  1. I can totally see him doing this.....& I have to agree - a smoothie is NOT a snack : ) as for the bball thing - give my buddy a message from me "IT'S ON..........." I'll be over this weekend to see what kind of game he has : )

    ReplyDelete